Mallards Taking Advantage of the Surf
- Mallards Taking Advantage of the Surf is a video I made on January 18, 2020 in Juneau, Alaska.
- Of major interest in this video is what are they feeding on?
- The high surf and the eddies it creates may concentrate certain food items floating on the water.
- Also the surf may wash out items accumulated along the shoreline.
- I took a very fine mesh net and swept it through an area where the Mallards were feeding near shore.
- I took the results home and looked at it under a binocular microscope.
- I could not find any invertebrates. The most likely food item were huge numbers of spruce seeds floating on the water.