Marmots Like to Play
- This is a shorter version of the video Marmots Love to Play. It includes a sequence in the alpine as well as a den.
- In Juneau the Hoary Marmot is common along many beach areas as well as in the alpine.
- They seem to enter the den for hibernation about the same time in late August or early September.
- But the beach marmots seem to emerge from hibernation around a month or more earlier than the alpine marmots.
- The group of marmots on the beach probably involves both parents, one youngster from last year (a teenager) and one first year marmot.
- The one laying down is probably the adult male (dad) because they do not normally take care of the children.
- I suspect the largest one standing is the adult female (mom).
- Marmots are considered "true hibernators" to learn more about them look at Chilling Out How Warm-Blooded Animals Survive Southeast Winters by Bob Armstrong and Marge Hermans
- Then answer the question how does hibernation benefit marmots?