Songbird Flies Underwater
- This video shows an American Dipper searching for aquatic insects and fish underwater.
- Notice in the fairly shallow water how it uses both its legs and wings to propel itself.
- In the deeper water it uses its wings and basically "flies" underwater.
- In one of sequences it chases a juvenile coho salmon which it doesn't catch.
- However I have seen them capture the coho young as the last photo shows.
- The leg bands on the dipper are part of a study by Mary Willson and Katherine Hocker.
- They spent many years learning about them and published a book about them. The book American Dipper--Singers in the Mountain Streams can be ordered at http://www.takugraphics.com/other-publications2/books/19006014