Too Many Males!
- This video of chum salmon spawning could be a good one for class discussion. Especially after students do some reading about spawning behavior among salmon.
- Lots going on here. Look at Chum Salmon Spawning Behavior by S.L. Schroder
- Look for a signal by the female that she is ready.
- Dominant vs subordinant males.
- Does the substrate look ready to receive her eggs?
- What are the benefits and detriments of the Dolly Varden eating some of them?
- Learn about Dolly Varden migration behavior -- go to Dolly Varden by Robert H. Armstrong and Marge Hermans and Migration of Anadromous Dolly Varden Charr in Southeastern Alaska--A Manager's Nightmare by Robert H. Armstrong
- This video was taken in a fairly short intertidal stream. Judging the size of the Dolly Varden where do you think they are coming from and where they are going?
- Do you think these two spawning acts were very successful?
- Will she try again?
- How do you think aquatic insects will respond to this type of activity?